I have always heard that you should do what you love and the money will follow. For the last six years I have enjoyed teaching art. I really love teaching art. It is an amazing job that I often feel that I am being paid to "play" all day. In November, I got a new job. Everyone tells you how you will love your child but nothing could have prepared me for just how much I love James Henry. Taking care of him is an absolute joy and truly the thrill of my life. I will even go as far to say that giving birth was my most favorite thing I have ever done. The rewards and blessings that I have received from caring for my baby boy are immeasurable. Unfortunately, the rewards that I gain from being a mother are not the kind that "pay the bills." There was a buzz a couple of years ago when someone figured out that stay-at-home moms would actually earn $131,471 a year if they were to be paid for their work. No joke! I guess that the government keeps that money because I have not seen a dime of it. Clint wants to know exactly who signs that check and where we go to pick it up. Maybe it is in the mail... Unfortunately, teaching art would require me to spend less than every waking moment with James Henry. Sooooo, I thought I would try to do something else that I love. Something that I can care for James Henry and possibly make a little cash. I was actually a double major in college. I have a Masters in Art Education and majored in Studio Art with a concentration in photography. If I am not currently using one half of my degree, than possibly the other.
My love for photography really started when I took every possible art class offered at my high school. My dad is a good photographer and I remember if it was a special occasion my mom would ask him to get out the good camera. He had a Nikon that I had the pleasure of using in college. That is until he took it back because he has a sentimental attachment to it (this is another story, I'll get back to my point) I am often overwhelmed by how great life is and I just want to capture and save every moment that I can. There is so much beauty all around, everyday. This feeling has been greatly intensified with the arrival of one Mr. James Henry. I have taken a ridiculous amount of pictures of him. So, I hope to share my love of life, photography, and family by becoming a "part-time-pro" lifestyle, family photographer. We just purchased a new SLR digital camera and I love it! I am taking more pictures than ever! I am thinking of calling my little venture, Southern Photo. Unless anyone has any suggestions on a better name..... I have one job lined up and I'm available for more. You know, just until my "mommy check" comes in!

1 comment:
Katy - Next time you are in town we will hire you -- Your pictures are beautiful...and James Henry is so handsome!!
Hope y'all are doing well!!
Love,
Bill, Alicia, Parker and Addison (due in 44 days!!)
Post a Comment