Tuesday, June 30, 2009

birth story





Clint and I both predicted that Eli would come early, but we were thinking at least July! Early last Tuesday morning, around 3 am my water broke. I began having contractions, called the hospital, and then woke a very sleepy Clint-

Me: "Hey Clint, I think that we need to go to the hospital. I think my water broke and the doctor said he needs to check me."

Clint: "So, do you need me to go with you?"

Me: "Um, yes, get in the shower, and then we will talk"

Clint: "Ok"

and then he was awake and helpful and excited-
By then it wass after 4am and so we packed our bags and woke up James Henry. For some reason he found it hilarious that we were loading up the van and heading out into the night. He giggled the whole way to the hospital.

After getting checked in at Baptist I called my mom and Clint's mom who were more than excited to come to Nashville to meet their new grandson and take care of the other.

It was a major worry/ prayer request about what we were going to do with James Henry when I went into labor. Thankfully, I have amazing friends who offered to keep him no matter the time of day or night. I called a dear friend at 5am who sleepily but excitedly asked, "Are you in labor?! Bring him right over-" So, Clint took James Henry to be well taken care of for the rest of the day.

I was very nervous about our baby arriving three full weeks early. The nurses and doctors assured me that 37 weeks is considered full term and that he would be just fine. After being moved to a labor and delivery room Clint and I settled in, talked, prayed, watched Wimbledon, and waited. Around 11 o'clock I progressed very quickly. I have never imagined or experienced such intense pain in my entire life. Clint called for the nurse who agreed to check but did not believe that I was ready to push. I told her that he was coming! When she checked on Eli she said, "OH, BABY!" She was amazed that I had progressed so quickly, called the doctor and told him to hurry! Minutes after the doctor arrived, so did Eli! To hear his cry for the first time was amazing, breathtaking and such a relief. I was so happy to hear his healthy lungs! They handed him to me and it was love at first sight!

I cannot believe that was a week ago today. I cannot believe that I ever worried that I would not love another baby as much as James Henry. I worried that my heart was not big enough to love another. God has just given me a whole new heart. Another heart that is just as big and that loves Eli just as much. Oh, we love him so very much! We praise Him for our healthy, happy, and handsome baby boy.

No comments: